Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Beads

I am not sure that I do understand the family tree in the chapter about Marie Kashpaw.
On the f amily tree we can see that Nector Kashpaw and Marie Lazarre were married and had 4 children.
I am not understanding then the relation between Marie and June, as on page 84, Marie says that she did not want june Morrissey at first.
But the family tree shows June adopted by Eli, not Nector and Marie.
Am I misunderstanding something? I would appreciate anyone's insight and will check other blogs for possible explanation.

2 comments:

  1. I think that June chose to live with Eli after living with Marie and Nector for a while. Marie didn't want her at first, but I think she came to really love her and was crushed when she chose Eli. It is very hard to follow this book at times, but I think that is why I like it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. The book is very hard to follow, but I think Kathy is right. June was a wild soul, just like Eli. Marie comments that June could no longer trust a woman, after having been abandoned by her mother, so she clung to Eli.

    ReplyDelete